Friday, August 8, 2008

The Art of Sharing

Mine!  That's a word I hear a lot in my house.  It's usually followed by screaming and fighting.  Ahhh, the art of sharing.  When, exactly, does it get any easier?  Today, I was at the park with a good friend of mine and her two kids.  It was a little cloudy out and her son was feeling cold.  I had already asked Caedon if he wanted to wear his sweatshirt to which he had replied, "No Way Mom...that will make me sweat on my head!"  So, I offered the sweatshirt to my friend's son.  He wore the jacket happily the entire time we were at the park.  

As we prepared to leave, I told Caedon, "We'll need to get your jacket back from Jonathan so you'll have it at Grandma's house."  All of the sudden he realized that someone else had been wearing HIS sweatshirt.  "MOM!!  I was SO COLD this whole time and I NEEDED my SWEATSHIRT!!!"  He shrieked.  "Caedon, I asked you if you were cold and if you wanted to wear it when we got here and you said no."  I reminded him.  "Mom, that's just because I wanted to surprise you when I told you how cold I've been."

Caedon had no desire to wear his sweatshirt, but couldn't believe I had loaned it to someone else.  How often to do we see this as Mommies?  A child wants nothing to do with a particular toy until another child goes to play with it?  Then is is "MINE!!"  

I was wondering when it gets better and I realized that it probably never will.  We all have certain things that we don't like to share.  We all have to make a calculated effort to be more giving and less selfish, despite our human nature.  But, we are so greatly rewarded when we do give selflessly.  

On the way home, I talked with Caedon about how he shared his coat (albeit unknowingly).  "Jonathan was very cold and it was a kind thing to do to let him borrow your coat." I said.  Caedon thought quietly for a minute before saying, "Yeah Mom...next time I'll make sure to bring my coat so Jonathan doesn't have to be cold because he's my friend and I want him to be happy."  Sweet progress, if only for a moment.

1 comment:

w said...

That's great how that ended up. I love when it turns out a teachable moment and I was just trying to survive that unreasonable selfishness... but I love your perspective. "Mom, that's just because I wanted to surprise you when I told you how cold I've been." ...THAT made me laugh so hard!