Sunday, June 29, 2008

When easy babies aren't...


I've never had an easy baby before.  Both of my boys came shooting out to this life knowing exactly the way they wanted things and knowing exactly how to go about getting those things.  They are very opinionated and extremely stubborn.  Whenever I would read baby books telling me, "If you follow this schedule, then your baby will ________."  Those books were always very good at predicting what my boys would do...the exact opposite of whatever the book predicted.  I know this is a good thing...that they will have the tenacity to be strong leaders and take a stand for things that matter.  But, it can also be very challenging...especially to a mommy that just wants her baby to eat, sleep, wear pants, etc.

So when Aislynn came along, I was pleasantly surprised...no I was flabbergasted!  I had no idea that a baby could follow a schedule for eating and sleeping, could fall asleep in their own bed within minutes, and could be generally happy with life.  It did not take long to get used to it, however.  I love this little girl who does everything on cue.  Sure, she has fussy moments, but usually she is only upset when there is actually a reason to be (unlike the boys who seemed to cry just so they could make sure that my ears were working every minute and a half or to make sure I was aware that this earth was not living up to their expectations).  

Can you sense a bump in the road coming?  You got it.  Aislynn was bound to formulate an opinion at some point and she has decided she found a grievance worth complaining about.  Aislynn has decided she does NOT want to take a bottle.  Nope, not in the middle of the night (when Dan graciously takes one of the feedings so I can get a long chunk of sleep), not in the daytime (when I try to run an errand only to return to find a full bottle of precious breast milk sitting in the dirty sink) and certainly not from me (when I try to wait until I know she's absolutely hungry and she defiantly pushes the bottle out of her mouth and nestles her nose into my chest while trying to latch on to my t-shirt).  

This wouldn't be such a big deal if the following two statements were not in the equation:
1.  I do NOT love breastfeeding to the point of exclusion (I like to be able to leave occasionally for more than 2 hours or sleep for more than 4-5 in the night...I know what you're thinking and you're right...I'm completely selfish and should be shot).
2.  I go back to work part-time in a month!

So, Aislynn and I are preparing for battle.  Well, I'm preparing...she's sleeping peacefully in her bassinet right now.  I am going to buy a few different kinds of bottles to see if maybe she will like a different one better.  I'm going to pump just before each feeding and try to bottle feed her several times a day.  I've seen the glimmer in her eye...the glimmer I recognize from her brothers' eyes.  She will not go down without a fight!  In some ways, I'm really bummed that there is a bump in the road, but in some ways, I'm relieved.  I'm glad to know that this little princess has some fire and grit in her too.  And that when she truly cares about something, she's not just going to lay down and take it. No, she will make herself be heard.  She will be a strong and passionate woman!!   She is her brothers' sister, after all.

3 comments:

Karen Elaine Rogers said...

very well written! :) funny! and yet leaves me frustrated with you and wondering how this story will pan out. kids!

Kristen Courter said...

Ahhh, Emily. Try a few more bottle nipples out. The softer silicone nipple and the bottle with the little bags inside worked for Holly. She did not want that hard Avent plastic. But hey, the girl knows what she wants--she's just going to have to compromise! :)

les said...

it was bound to happen...like that first scratch on a new car. once you have it there, it just makes everything else seem like no big deal.

(i thought i saw a glint of red in that hair of hers!)